WESNET is pleased to announce that we will be jointly hosting a side event at the 59th session of the Commission on the Status of Women in New York next month with the Permanent Mission of Australia to the United Nations.
Entitled “Preventing Violence Against Women and Girls in the Digital and Technological Age”, this side event will explore the intersection between technology and gender-based violence against women and girls, highlighting a trending issue across the globe. The panel will promote the use of technology as a safety and empowerment tool for women and girls, and discuss how technology can be used to gather evidence for police and courts. This side event will also contribute to understanding and preventing violence against women, one of the core focus areas of the Beijing Platform of Action.
The panel will include remarks by:
- Senator the Hon. Michaelia Cash, Minister Assisting the Prime Minister for Women, Australia
- Natasha Stott Despoja, Australia’s Ambassador for Women and Girls
- Julie Oberin, Women’s Services Network (WESNET), Australian Women Against Violence Alliance, Australia
- Cindy Southworth, National Network to End Domestic Violence, USA
- Bandana Rana, Executive Chair, Saathi, Nepal
For more information download the flyer here –> 150224 Australia Wesnet side event – Invitation