Julie Oberin, WESNET Chair, will be talking at the 3rd Biennial National Homelessness Summit in Sydney at 9.ooAM on Tuesday 21st May on Women, Children and Homelessness: Taking the National Challenge Seriously.
Julie will discuss the relationship between violence against women and homelessness: the gendered face of homelessness in Australia
- Reflections on The Road Home and the National Plan to Reduce Violence Against Women
- Primary prevention and service responses in difficult times
- Planning for the future
Post-ConferenceWorkshop – 1 – 5 pm Wednesday 22nd May
WESNET Committee members Lindy Edwards, Pauline Woodbridge will join Julie in holding a post-conference workshop on Wednesday 22nd May on “Women and Homelessness”.
WESNET will facilitate the half day “Talking Circle” workshop for conference participants. It will be a facilitated interactive discussion focusing on women and homelessness.
The objectives of the workshop will be to canvass new and emerging issues, facilitate policy and sector debate, identify good practice and unmet need, and share information which will lead to improved responses to women’s homelessness arising from violence. It will include discussion on:
- Can we identify trends in certain areas?
- Are there new barriers? Old barriers?
- What innovative practices and partnerships are happening?
- How do you think The Road Home and the National Plan as key policies are working?
- What are the lessons from the States and Territories?
- What are the federal coalition policies?
- What does the focus for the next 5 years need to be on?
WESNET Members are entitled to a 10% discount on the registration so please email us to access the CODE before you register.